YARD OF THE MONTH CONTEST GUIDELINES
The Windsor Park Estates Yard of the Month Committee (YMC) has been established to promote goodwill and reward exemplary lawn care in the Windsor Park Estates subdivision (2-3 members). The purpose of the program is to recognize neighbors who demonstrate above-average efforts in maintaining their property, thereby contributing to the overall appearance of the community at large. This is a great award and the program is administered entirely by volunteers.
For the months May through October, the YMC will choose a lawn that best typifies the qualities of: uniqueness, beauty, appeal, as well as consistency with Windsor Park Estates architecture and having all installations within our Architectural Control Committee (ACC) guidelines. Since the YMC will mainly deal with "curb appeal," nominations will be for front and side yards jointly, as well as the exterior of the house. The YMC will select a Yard of the Month during the first few days of each month and each month a different street will be selected. The winner of the Yard of the Month will be provided with a decorative yard sign for display indicating their winning yard as well as a positing on our community website, which will include a picture.
• All current Windsor Park Estates properties are automatically eligible.
• Award winners are selected based on the recommended judging criteria listed below.
• Key criteria include manicured yard, beautification, originality, and creativity.
Y• The upkeep of the yard can reflect the efforts of the residents themselves or that of a professional landscaper or groundskeeper.
• The same property cannot receive Yard of the Month more than once a year, meaning at least 12 months must elapse between awards for the same yard.
• Yard of the Month winners must be current with their Association dues.
• While an individual's home is being recognized as a Windsor Park Estates "Yard of the Month" they are expected to maintain their yard in the same manner that allowed them to win the title.
• Winners may be disqualified if their property is in violation of any HOA covenants or ACC regulations.
• In the event the homeowner who is chosen to have Yard of the Month does not wish to participate, they must contact the committee chair as soon as possible. The committee will choose another yard.
• Homeowners can only keep the award sign in their yard for the month they were awarded the sign, even if the sign was placed in their yard late due to holidays or vacation of committee members.
• Board members and Yard of the Month committee members are not eligible for this award during term (board term - 2 years; YMC term – 1 year).
Windsor Park Estates Yard of the Month candidates are judged solely on the total exterior appearance of their property and front/side yards as viewed from the street. General upkeep of the yard and property is paramount. Factors include the overall appearance, tidiness, and neatness of the front of the property as evidenced by pruned, trimmed, and shaped foliage, edged and defined lawns, borders & flowerbeds, and a visually appealing facade.
Lawn: Healthy grass with no large bare spots or excessive weeds is necessary. Grass shall be mowed, edged and grass around foundations and fences shall be trimmed. Debris (garbage, pet feces, etc.) shall be picked up and removed. The lawn should have a unified, simple and balanced landscape design. It should be neat and natural.
Landscape and Flower Beds: Beds weeded and edged. Flowers deadheaded and dead plants removed. Trees and shrubs pruned. Natural areas cleaned. Plantings should be in scale with the surroundings.
Walkways and Driveways: Walkways and Driveways shall be clean, including trash containers removed from view. In addition, the area in front of the curb should be free from debris and dirt.
Aesthetics: The overall look of landscaping color and textures should be in harmony with the community. The front entryway should be clean and show the homeowners creativity with special touches such as hanging baskets, pots, yard art, bird feeders, etc.
Summary Note: While lack of strict adherence to the criteria above does not necessarily result in a disqualification, these principles offer general guidelines that are recognized by the Windsor Park Estates Yard of the Month committee. YMC realizes not everyone has a ‘green thumb’; therefore, a homeowner may still win Yard of the Month by making an extensive improvement to the curb appeal of their home.
The Windsor Park Estates Homeowners Association is dedicated to improving the quality of living and appearance of our community. We encourage residents to take pride in their homes and neighborhood. In turn, we look to celebrate those who do a superior job in maintaining their yards in such a way that they enhance the overall curb appeal of the entire community.